How to Prepare for a Convention: Part One



I've been to several conventions in the past year. My first was was PAX South in 2015. I didn't know much besides what others had told me to do, so it was a huge learning experience! Throughout 2015 I went to 2 more conventions after that. This is what I learned. Feel free to email me at kiraeyltv@gmail.com if you know of any other words of wisdom that would go well with this topic!


1. Pack shoes with good support.

I wanted to look good for my first convention, so I packed two pairs of boots. This was the beginning of the end for my feet. By fall of 2015, after my third convention of 2015, I had developed a condition in my left foot called plantar fasciitis and this comes from wearing shoes for long periods of time that have improper sole support. So I'd recommend wearing a pair of good fitting tennis shoes for the actual walking on the convention floor and a pair of good lookin' shoes for photo moments or parties. (Unless you'd like to get steroid shots in your foot for months while you can hardly walk!)

2. Layer your clothing if you're flying on a plane.

By my third convention, I had mastered the art of layering. This is where you purposely put on your bulky stuff so it doesn't take up space in your carry-on luggage. (Most airlines will charge to check your luggage in the stowaway below unless you are an air priority member. Southwest airlines allows for one free checked bag, so this advice may not be for those who fly Southwest!) Put on an undershirt, a t-shirt, a button up shirt, a hoodie, and then your regular pants and socks and shoes. You may need to take off the hoodie or jacket for getting through TSA, but I've found great success with layering. This also leaves room in the luggage for any convention swag you may pick up! Word of warning, don't layer too much though!

3. Learn to effectively pack!

Rolling clothes is awesome. And also pack what you will wear. This is so important. Being a girl, I like to pack for the unplanned occasion. This is such a mistake! Pack what you will wear and what is comfortable. If there are to be parties, pack one or two party outfits.

4. Download your air carrier's app!

Paper boarding passes are so easy to lose. I lost mine in my kindle! This is because I didn't have the app for the air carrier at the time. Air carriers now will have your phone be the boarding pass. All it takes is a simple scan of a QR code shown on your phone's app and you're good to go!

5. Download uber or lyft apps. 

Traveling around the city has been made infinitely easier. And cheaper, now that you can share rides!

6. Don't bring extra crap! Buy it there.

I had TSA confiscate my hair shampoo and conditioner during my last flight. That was a sad day. Don't waste money buying stuff beforehand. When you get to where you are going, walk or take an uber/lyft to the nearest store and get what you need there. This can include shampoos, soaps (hotels usually supply these though! Suck it up for a few days!), and anything else that can take up space. Do not bring a hair dryer. Hotels usually have these now in their bathrooms!

7. Hungry? Don't eat in the convention center!

Walk outside the center and check out the food places around it. There are some really good restaurants if you're willing to travel to them! Convention food and drinks are high priced, so save some bucks by hanging out with some friends at a really good sit down restaurant! Also, make sure to buy water and keep it in your swag bag or purse with you. Hydration is key!

8. Pack an extra bag, just in case!

My first convention I had so much swag, it wouldn't fit in my bag. I felt like a big giant doofus! But then I realized something: I had brought an extra bag! So I put all my carry on in that bag (they considered it a "purse") and put everything else in my luggage. Luckily, the flight checked my luggage for free even though I paid for early seating. They had run out of space. This served as a good teachable moment for me. Bring an extra bag for swag AND don't rely on airlines to fulfill the idea that even if you get early seating, you might not get your carry on luggage as carry on.

9. Plan out sight seeing and down time.

During PAX, there are tons of panels to go to. So many that you will not be able to get to them all. Trust me. If you're going there to meet up with friends and also go to the panels, the friends usually win! I missed 80% of the panels I wanted to go to during the first PAX. The second PAX I managed to catch half of them. By TwitchCon, I went to one panel and it was totally not what I was wanting to learn about, so I spent the rest of the time having a good time on the convention floor and hanging out with friends and family! I even threw caution to the wind and stayed an extra two days. I was fortunate to stay at a place that was owned by a friend of a friend for free. I saw the pacific ocean for the first time and stepped in it and I also got to do some sight seeing around San Francisco with my sister, which was awesome! Definitely plan some sightseeing, especially if you have not been in the city you're staying at before.

10. Have safe fun!

Always be safe. Don't put yourself into any situation that may feel uncomfortable to you. If you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation (as I have found myself several times), have an exit strategy. Uber has saved me in uncomfortable situations. Make sure you have a safe buddy that you can get in touch with every so often to make sure things are okay. Don't drink yourself to excess and have safe fun!

Part two is right here! Click on to read!

Popular Posts